The new ISO standard, ISO 80369-3, has been established for Luer connectors on the nutrition formula end and the patient-access end.
There is just one standard nutrition formula connector that will be utilized by all enteral equipment and universally adopted into practice.
The new ISO 80369-3 standard connector provides a simple way to reduce the risk of enteral tube feeding misconnections and improve patient safety.
The new connector:
• Addresses “patient side” connections between feeding tubes,
administration sets, medication, flush, and bolus feeding syringes
and other enteral devices.
• Passes a rigorous validation process including computer aided design (CAD), human factors, and usability testing as part of the pathway to ISO standards.
The new standard connector has a unique enteral-specific design that:
• Does not allow connectivity with any other connector for any other clinical use.
• Provides a locking feature that signals the appropriate connection and stays in place.
• Has a female connector end for any administration sets and syringes that fit into a male patient-access feeding tube port.
All major enteral device manufacturers are expected to comply with the new ISO standards to help ensure compatibility between feeding tubes and feeding/administration sets.
Manufacturers have worked together to develop an enteral-specific plan including transition connectors to allow crosscompatibility for the introduction period and to synchronize the introduction of the new connector system.